You’re scrolling through your social channels and you see a bunch of random letters tacked together — TIL, FWIW, IMHO — it can be hard to even know where to start.
So in this episode we cover a list of social media acronyms you should know. This list is neither meant to be exhaustive nor fully up-to-date (since internet language is constantly evolving!).
But in the meantime, you should probably know all of these acronyms if you want to keep up with your customers and your audience.
- HT or H/T
Any we missed? Tweet them at us using #StepUpYourSocial. In the meantime, HTH (Hope This Helps!).
NOTE: This list was modified from a previous blog post I wrote which you can find here.
Full Episode Transcript
So I put together a list of social media acronyms you should know. This list is modified from a blog post I wrote a while back which you can find at bit.ly/suys-acronyms. This list is neither meant to be exhaustive nor fully up-to-date (since internet language is constantly evolving!). But in the meantime, you should probably know all of these acronyms if you want to keep up with your customers and your audience.
If you come across any others you aren’t sure about, Google can almost always provide an answer pretty quickly. But if you find yourself stumped, feel free to reach out on Twitter, Facebook (I’m at Reverbal Communications) or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll see if I can’t offer an assist.
Without further ado, here are some social media acronyms that you should know:
- Let’s start with some obvious, but important ones that seem to confuse even pretty apt social media users: IG - Instagram, FB - Facebook, LI - LinkedIn and YT - YouTube
- AFAIK — As far as I know
- AMA — Ask Me Anything
- BTW — By the way, also pronounced b-t-dubs
- DM — Direct Message
- FF — Follow Friday
- FTW — For The Win
- FWIW — For What It's Worth
- HT or H/T — Hat Tip (or Heard Through)
- IIRC — If I recall correctly
- IM(H)O — In My (Humble) Opinion
- ICYMI — In Case You Missed It
- IDK — I Don’t Know
- IRL — In Real Life
- MT — Modified Tweet
- NSFW — Not Suitable For Work
- PT — Previous Tweet
- ROFL — Rolling On the Floor Laughing
- RT — Retweet
- SMH — Shaking My Head
- TBT — Throwback Thursday
- TL;DR — Too Long; Didn’t Read
- TFW — That Feeling When
TFW you open a book and find the author’s signature in it.” In other words, it’s a nice feeling that everyone knows and you are currently enjoying. Lean into it!
- TIL — Today I learned
- YMMV — Your mileage may vary
- TFTF — Thanks For The Follow
Any that I missed? Share them on Facebook or Twitter using the #StepUpYourSocial. In the meantime, HTH (Hope This Helps)!