Twitter, and the internet in general, can be an overwhelming place if you don’t speak “the language.” While this list is neither meant to be exhaustive nor ever up-to-date up with an ever progressing set of terminology, these are some acronyms that you should know.
Come across any others you aren’t sure about? Google can usually provide the answer pretty quickly. But don’t hesitate to reach out. I’ll be happy to get back to you. NP (No Problem).
Without further ado, here are some Twitter (and general social media) acronyms that you should know:
- AMA — Ask Me Anything
- DM — Direct Message
Not sure if you are open to receive DMs from anyone? Here’s a blog post I wrote on the subject.
- FF — Follow Friday
- FTW — For The Win
- FWIW — For What It's Worth
- HT or H/T — Hat Tip (or Heard Through)
- IM(H)O — In My (Humble) Opinion
- ICYMI — In Case You Missed It
- IDK — I Don’t Know
- IRL — In Real Life
- MT — Modified Tweet
- NSFW — Not Suitable For Work
- PT — Previous Tweet
- ROFL — Rolling On the Floor Laughing
- RT — Retweet
- SMH — Shaking My Head
- TBT — Throwback Thursday
- TL;DR — Too Long, Didn’t Read
- TFTF — Thanks For The Follow
Any that I missed? Mention them in the comments, drop me a line or tag me online (Twitter or Facebook). In the meantime, HTH (Hope This Helps)!